[H-GEN] OT: weird XP networking behaviour

David O'Brien dob12460 at bigpond.net.au
Wed Mar 23 08:24:37 EST 2005

Well, this has nothing to do with *NIX but I'm sure there are some cluey
networking people here...

I have just added an XP Pro desktop to my home network (not a domain) and it
connects using a D-Link wireless card to an access point which plugs into my
router. Installation was smooth, no hiccups at all, added the mac address to
the list of allowed and off she went.  Until midnight.

The PC has an IP address ok. ipconfig /release and /renew gets the IP address
back for me, everything looks normal.
Can ping its own IP address
Cannot ping the gateway
Cannot ping the router
No other machine on the network can see it

I even tried reinstalling the card, rebooting, resetting the Access Point,
etc., and then at 10pm (we believe) it started working again. Perfectly.
Internet access, visible on the network, etc.  At midnight it stopped again.

We've since plugged in an ethernet cable and it started working straight away.

I have a combination of Linux and Windows2000 Server installations on the same
network using both wired and wireless connections and they have no issues at
all. I use bigpond cable.

Just to make life interesting, the installation is in Chinese, but the "owner"
translates everything pretty well for me.

Any clues?
thanks a lot

David

--
The trouble with the gene pool is that there are no lifeguards