[H-GEN] software runs the world

barry day _bjd_ at iinet.net.au
Sun Mar 20 09:37:35 EST 2005

On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 09:56:23PM +1000, Russell Stuart wrote:

> I guess I should also cut off the next obvious suggestion -
> run them under cygwin.  That would work, but they don't
> integrate with Windows email clients.  The native Windows
> clients are far better than those available under cygwin.

That's the beauty of open source. There's alway someone willing to take up the
challenge of doing a port to another native API. As far as I know there is even
a Windows port of mutt that doesn't require any libraries like cygwin. Having
said that, I'll add that some ports of unix utilities are braindead and you
need to search out the good ones.

> To finish off Bary, I notice you didn't set the Reply-To
> address.

No, a mail-followup-to was automatically added which I assume your email client
ignored.

> Anyway, that is possibly beside the point.  As you can
> probably tell, I tend to favour easy use over technical
> correctness.  Others tend the other way.  At its heart, that
> is what I suspect what really drives this debate.  It is not
> a debate about some single engineering point to which there
> is an single answer.  It is a debate over whether one design
> feature, ease of use, should be favoured over another design
> feature, technical correctness.  There is no easy resolution
> to it.

Is it ease of use over technical correctness? I see it as ease of use over
power and flexibility.