[H-GEN] Re: Buying an Apple Powerbook...?????]

David de Groot david-humbug at viking.org.au
Wed Jun 8 23:17:22 EDT 2005

Gary Curtis wrote:

>I was two weeks away from buying a 12" Powerbook.  Then Steve Jobs
>dropped his bombshell about Intel.  What is the general consensus out
>there??   Do I keep my $$$ in my pocket for a while, hoping that Apple
>will drop the prices?  Or do I just go out and buy a regular Intel notebook
>as I was intending to run Debian most of the time anyway.
>
>If it was your $3000, what would you do...?

Interestingly enough I'm about to purchase a 15" Powerbook. Initially I
was somewhat shocked by the announcement in platform change but I've
mulled it over and have this to say about it:

* The powerbooks won't be x86 based for another 2 years.
* OS X itself won't be fully x86 until after Leopard (this is a
prediction on my part, but I reckon a fairly safe one).
* The average lifetime for a laptop is about 3 to 4 years, since Leopard
is coming out late 2006, it's likely that an x86 only OSX won't be out
until at least 2007, more likely Aug 2008.

>From this, I've determined that a purchase now makes sense as by the
time it's all x86 based, I'll be ready for a new Powerbook. :)

Dave
~maybe this time I'll send it from the correct address....