[H-GEN] disposing of old PC hardware

Geoff Shang geoff at hitsandpieces.net
Tue Jul 26 13:39:51 EDT 2005

Willie Yeo wrote:

> I'll testify to what Sandra said.
>
> You just watch as they rummage, grab and it'll be gone ... even the box !

haha ok.  But I really don't have the ware with all to get this stuff to
HUMBUG.  Being blind, I don't have a set of wheels, plus Saturday is going
to be pretty full-on anyway.  But I'd be more than happy to arrange for
someone to pick it up from me.

In preparation for such an offer, I've been sifting through old hardware.
Here's a partial list of what I have to get rid of:

* P233 case with dodgy motherboard which used to overheat, but may stil
have
some serviceable parts.

* P120 (may or may not be keeping this), with a dodgy power supply fan and
a CDROM drawer that won't stay closed but could probably be fixed.  Has 32
MB RAM and an SB16 card.  Might also have a PCI video card in it too.  Was
our main LInux box for 4.5 years.

* 486 DX2/66 with quite a few components.  Intended making it a router but
   never happened.  I think it has 2 small HD's, a cheap ISA soundcard, and
   an ISA NE2K NIC (no RJ45 port on it though).  Could be wrong about any of
   this.

* A monitor which came with the P120.  15-inch, apparently showing some
signs of age but works ok for text apparently (I can't see itpersonally so
don't know).  Hasn't been used in 4 years.

* Several keyboards in various stages of decay.

* An unused CPU fan which was too large.  Still in original box.

* A few assorted hard drives of varying sizes.

* An old Intel etherexpress something, retired when I got cable put on
since I couldn't get it to play ball with the PCI NIC I got with the cable
modem.  May or may not still work.

* Some old PC parts I got from a guy in the hopes they might be useful.  I
   actually wouldn't mind if it were possible to quickly go through this box
   in case there's anything I can use in my P2/266 or P333, but I'll shift
   the lot if this isn't possible.  hmmmm, that reminds me - if anyone knows
   where I can get some cheap RAM for my P2/266, I'd be greatful (the 32 MB
   is starting to prove inadequate)...oh and now you're going to ask what
   motherboard I have.  I've probably got it written down somewhere...but I
   digress.

The afore-mentioned box has a CDROM drive and a floppy drive, both of which
I'm not certain whether to keep or not.  I figure replacements are cheap
enough these days anyway.  I also thought I had an old SBPro that came with
the P120, but I can't seem to find it (it may materialise as things
progress).

Think that's it for now.

Oh and we have some other stuff we're getting rid of, including a not
particularly flash single bed, a lounge where quite a bit of the supporting
elastic has gone (i.e. the seats sag more than they're meant to), and
Amanda has a manual (not powered) treadmill she's looking to offload fairly
cheaply.

Oh and before I forget.  We inherited some comics (I think) which belong to
someone at HUMBUG and which Jason Parker was looking after.  I've been
informed that these will be disposed of if they aren't claimed.  So if the
owner still wants them, get in touch before the weekend or they could be
gone for good.

Cheers,
Geoff.