[H-GEN] Anti-unix changes in Suncorp-Metway's updated banking TOS

deadcat deadcat at faelixian.com
Wed Jan 26 03:46:46 EST 2005

(apologies if I've stuffed up the threading of the posts, my mail is stuffed)
Harry Phillips wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-01-23 at 00:10 +1000, Christian Bullow wrote:
>
>>I have little choice whom I bank with, being an employee of the very
>>same organisation,
>

> Hmmm.... I think if that was true it would be illegal. If you mean that
> you get a better deal then say so. "I get a great staff discount" is
> quite different to "I am forced to or I get the sack/disciplined/other
> bad thing".

I know this is a bit late...

I used to work for SuncorpMetway. It's not accurate to say Suncorp
employees have no choice with whom they bank. Rather, all employees are
required to open an account with them for their pay. It's a free fee
account, and they don't care what you do with your money once they've
paid it to you. It's merely for their convenience, aside from the fact
that you have to actually go to a branch to open the account.

I was somewhat unimpressed when they told me that I would -have- to open
an account with them. However, they were quite happy to allow me to set
up an automatic (fee free) transfer that would transfer all of my pay
into my existing (non Suncorp) bank account. I ended up not bothering
with the transfer, and did use my Suncorp account as a normal account,
but still kept my original account. Once I left Suncorp, however, I
closed my accounts. There was no point in having more accounts, and the
fee free-ness was at an end anyway.

dc.