[H-GEN] I have a bad Postfix setup (appently)

Bradley Marshall brad at humbug.org.au
Mon Jan 24 04:56:30 EST 2005

On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 07:02:03PM +1000, Harry Phillips wrote:
> Is it just me or could our time be better spent than on an issue of
> "ridiculous" Message-id's that most mail readers hide anyway? Even if
> the mail reader didn't hide the header stuff I could imagine most people
> using them would not take much notice of it anyway and get to the "guts"
> of the message as a habit.

Message-ids etal aren't for humans to read directly.
They're there to assist identifying messages and threading,
and are supposed to uniquely identify a message.  Having
localhost.localdomain rather than the hostname can cause
message-id clashes, and also make it difficult to track back
where messages come from.  I've often had to use a message id
to track a message across multiple systems.

> Oh my god Greg you are right, my message-id is an extra 8 characters, I
> am truly sorry to you and all the people that had to go out and buy more
> storage space because of my "bad setup".</sarcasm>

Where exactly did he say it was the size that was the problem?

> Don't you have *anything* better to do?

He's trying to help you, having a message-id like you have
can cause all sorts of issues.  I hope you're not always this
aggressive to people who are trying to help.  Standards exist
for a reason and they're important to follow.  I'd have expected
people interested in Open Source to respect them more.

Thanks,
Brad
--
Brad Marshall