[H-GEN] re: OpenSolaris

Harry Phillips harry at tux.com.au
Sun Feb 13 03:54:11 EST 2005

On Sun, 2005-02-13 at 15:10 +1000, Greg Black wrote:

> > As a non-programing *user* I disagree, basically I don't care whether
> > the licence is GPL, LGPL, MPL, MPLv2, CDDL, QHYT, ZHYT or even
> > RobsLittleLicence. All I need to know is that it is OSI approved and I
> > find it useful.
>
> Er, no.  As a user, you need to understand and comply with every
> licence that covers all the software that you use.

Really? It's open source, I use it, what else is there to know?

> Sure, it affects software developers more than ordinary users,
> but don't imagine that you're not affected.

Do you have any examples where the user has not tracked which open
source licence the software was using and the problems that arose
because they didn't?

Even if you don't have a real world example make up a hypothetical.

--
Regards,
Harry