[H-GEN] Software Freedom Day - Sept 10th

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Mon Aug 8 23:39:45 EDT 2005

Sarah Walters wrote:
>> nit: there's more to free software than 'merely' Linux.
>> And since Humbug is not just a lug you should also include
>> the other freed versions of unix.

Heh, the "d" there was a bit of a giveaway. :)

So, Ubuntu Linux, OpenSolaris, FreeBSD maybe. Do we want to actually
have CDs of all those to hand out, or just talk about them and say "come
to HUMBUG where we can burn you a copy"?

>> Might be a good idea to make reference to the various
>> popular desktop apps like OpenOffice.org etc etc as well,
>> so that whoever rocks up and takes an interest is not left
>> thinking "cool, a free OS with no apps to run on it."
> While we're at it, why not give out OpenOffice.org for Windows as well?

That makes sense -- maybe Thunderbird and Firefox too? An "install
Linux" set, and a "free software for Windows" set would probably be
complementary. Is "free software for OS X" useful or redundant?

> Is it possible to get AUUG in on the action? AUUG doesn't have a
> Queensland chapter, but since they are the national Unix user group body
> they fit with HUMBUG nicely and may be willing to help with some of the
> costs in exchange for some advertising for their conference.

Linux Australia's been talking about providing some funds for stuff, but
we haven't set a budget yet.

Cheers,
aj