[H-GEN] VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev ide1(22,1)

Geoff Shang geoff at hitsandpieces.net
Fri Aug 5 23:21:54 EDT 2005

Hi everyone,

I was using one of our computers the other night when I started getting a
bunch of errors, the text of which I can't remember but I do recall hearing
timeouts. Anyway, I thought I'd reboot but it wasn't reading the root
filesystem so I couldn't run a reboot or shutdown.  So I just hit reset.

It then panicked as it couldn't mount the root filesystem because it was
reporting a bogus size of 0 bytes, even though the kernel loaded off that
same partition.

I pulled the drive out of that box and stuck it in this one.  The drive
checks out OK on boot-up and looks OK in fdisk:

Disk /dev/hdc: 64 heads, 63 sectors, 1023 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 4032 * 512 bytes

    Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdc1   *         1       484    975712+  83  Linux
/dev/hdc2           485       546    124992   82  Linux swap
/dev/hdc3           547      1023    961632   83  Linux

But when I try to mount a partition, I get the following error:

VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev ide1(22,1).
FAT: bogus logical sector size 0
VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev 16:01.
FAT: bogus logical sector size 0
VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev 16:01.
mount: you must specify the filesystem type

It's either EXT3 or EXT2, can't remember which, but if I specify either in
the mount command, I get the equivalent of the first line of the above.

So is my drive hosed?  Or is there something I'm overlooking?

Geoff.

--
Geoff Shang <geoff at hitsandpieces.net>
Phone: +61-418-96-5590
MSN: geoff at acbradio.org

Make sure your E-mail can be read by everyone!
http://www.betips.net/etc/evilmail.html