[H-GEN] Smoothwall and Speedtouch Modems

Conor Cunningham cunningtek at optusnet.com.au
Mon Apr 18 06:31:59 EDT 2005

I sent this email a couple of weeks ago but it never seemed to show up
on HUMBUG; so I'm giving it another shot. Sorry if anyone has received
this already.

Gidday All,

                  I have recently installed Smoothwall as the Gateway at
my father's surgery. The telstra boys came and installed the ADSL and
left me with a Speedtouch 530 modem. Now, I have the interent running
fine with the modem connected via ethernet to smoothie. The problem is,
and I can't seem to find any way of getting aroud this, is that the
modem is a DHCP server and hence assigns smoothie a local IP address.
10.0.0.2 The local interface of the modem is 10.0.0.138. What I ideally
want, and if this can't be done with this modem, then I will need to
purchase something else, is for the smoothie to have a "live" ip address
so I can setup a VPN between my Dad's surgery and his house.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to achieve this with the
aforementioned hardware, and if not, can somebody recommend a modem
which is merely a modem and has no other bloody fancy settings?

Thanks a million,

Conor