[H-GEN] You have mail vs You have new mail

Sandra Mansell fakungabubu at internode.on.net
Fri Sep 3 22:57:15 EDT 2004

Recently (about a week ago) my debian box decided that it wasn't ever
going to say "You have new mail" when I logged in, just "You have mail".
I haven't done anything differently with it. I always left a few old
emails in there (usually ones I hadn't yet replied to).

It's getting really annoying because now every time I login I have to
open my mail client to check if I do have any new email. It's a real
time-waster.

I've done a few searches on google, have come across others with the
same problem but no answers as yet.

One particular thread seemed to suggest it was something to do with the
shell (I use bash) and that I should mess with the global .bashrc ...
I'm a bit hesitant to do that as I didn't modify it in the first place.

Anyone have a similar experience? Or some suggestions that don't involve
messing with global configuration files?

Sandra.
--
http://www.users.on.net/ickus/
JabberID: silne at jabber.org.au
"Oh wonderful, they're alive. Now you can torture them with
your inane dribblings."
  -- Rygel (to Stark) "Green-Eyed Monster"
      Farscape season 3 episode 8