[H-GEN] Clock setting [was: Preventing the tcl console altogether]

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Thu Sep 2 21:00:56 EDT 2004

On 2004-09-03, cbecwd wrote[1]:

> 	PSMAM18.bigpond.com(MAM REL_3_4_2 297/51176399) with SMTP id
> 	51176399; Thu, 02 Sep 2004 23:43:49 +1000

The above are the last and first Received headers on this
message as I received it.  They (and the headers in between) all
agree that the message was sent at 2343 on Thursday.

> Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 09:43:40 +1000

The Date header, however, pretends that it was 0943 on Friday,
which is clearly wrong.

You need to get your clock and time zone stuff setup correctly.

It looks as though this might be a machine that dual boots
Windows and Linux and that it might have its hardware clock set
to local time so that Windows can display the correct time.  In
that case, you'd need to tell Linux that the hardware clock is
running local time rather than UTC (which is what all sane Unix
type systems run).

Of course, if you only use Linux, you should just set the clock
to UTC.

Cheers, Greg

[1] I changed the subject line because I have no comment to make
    about tcl but wanted to make a point about the clock -- it's
    really irritating to see messages with incorrect time stamps
    when you sort your mail folders by date.