[H-GEN] Quick question

Harry Phillips harry at tux.com.au
Fri Oct 8 20:09:18 EDT 2004

Robert Stanford wrote:

>> Basically this is a yes/no type question.
>>
>> I have a client that wants to put a PC in the foyer so that vistors
>> can use it to surf specific web sites. I can specify using DHCP what
>> IP address the machine receives.
>>
>> The list of web sites is quite small and all related. Am I right in
>> thinking that it would be best to use the current squid proxy to
>> restrict what web sites this PC can see?
>>

> Yessir, use an acl, heres one I use that does the opposite of what you
> want.
>
> acl claria url_regex claria.com
> .
> .
> .
> http_access deny claria all

I just remembered that the client doesn't use the Linux box as a proxy
any more, they have a Netbox.

What I did figure is that I could setup a Linux box for the foyer and
have squid on that, then configure iptables so that it uses itself as a
proxy and put the restrictions there.

Or would it be simpler to configure /etc/hosts with the allowed sites
and disable DNS?

--
Regards,
Harry Phillips