[H-GEN] Colour printer with LInux

David Jericho davidj at tucanatech.com
Sun Nov 28 19:05:28 EST 2004

Robert Brockway wrote:

>I've been wondering at the definition of "works perfectly" used in the
>original post.

"Not do unexplained things" I think is a suitable definition. My DeskJet
5550 has not done a single unexplained thing[1] and I've printed several
thousand sheets through it, everything from photos to spreadsheets.

>I'm using a Lexmark Z25 printer[1].  I can't see any problems with it
>under CUPS.  I rarely use colour but IIRC that also worked fine.

There is one printer brand. HP. No one else makes what I'd call printers
in the home to office volume market.

It may sound like OS X fanboyism[2], but over the years of administering
to printers, there is only one brand that has worked as it should every
time. HP. They maybe evil, they maybe a corporate menace, but their
printers like the calculators, are damn fine products.

>The biggest problem I had was unwrapping the package to install the
>driver.

My printer was supported by Fedora Core 2 out of the box. No extra
drivers to install.

>[2] I sent an email to Lexmark asking them why they had gone out of their
>way to be difficult and suggested they stop making assumptions about the
>systems their software will be installed on.

The obvious question is "Why are you using something other than Red Hat?"[3]

[1] Any thing it "shouldn't have done" was caused by operator error.
Namely, me.

[2] If your answer to any question is "Foo", you're a fanboy.

[3] </ObMondayMorningTroll>

--
David Jericho
Senior Systems Administrator, Tucana Technologies