[H-GEN] Using dump/restore Quick File Access support

Tim Kent tim.kent at wkconsulting.com.au
Mon Nov 22 21:36:28 EST 2004

Hello,

I use dump/restore at various sites, and it does the job very well.  The
only problem I have with restore is that it takes a long time to restore
when the backup job is of a considerable size.

I've looked into using dump's -Q option, which writes out to a 'Quick File
Access' file.  This file is generated correctly as far as I can tell, but
when I go to restore, I get the following error:

[9610] error: 5 (setting tapepos: 35502400)

Could this be a limitation of the tape device/driver, or am I doing
something wrong here?

The testing machine is running Debian 3.0 on a 2.4.26 kernel, and a Sony
SDX-400V AIT drive:

(scsi0:A:5): 40.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 15, 16bit)
  Vendor: SONY      Model: SDX-400V          Rev: 0100
  Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02

The Debian package version of dump is 0.4b27-4.

Cheers,
Tim

--
Tim Kent CCNA CNS