[H-GEN] PXE capable network cards

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Sat May 29 19:12:34 EDT 2004

On Sat, 29 May 2004, Jason Parker-Burlingham wrote:

> Okay, rant over.  I'd still be interested in an explanation of what
> PXE *does*.  My impression is that it works around some deficiency in
> standard PC netbooting; certainly a Sun requires nothing more than
> DHCP, TFTP and a bare-bones filesystem.  Why are PCs different?

Don't forget rarp and bootparam.  Whenever I've net booted Suns I've used
these instead of DHCP as it seems this is the Sun preferred way (so
everyone's documents talk about these).  I don't think the PROM can talk
DHCP.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert at timetraveller.org, rbrockway at uqconnect.net