[H-GEN] Mailing List

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Fri May 28 05:28:53 EDT 2004

On 2004-05-28, Paul Gearon wrote:
> Nikolai Lusan wrote:
> >On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 23:32, James Mills wrote:
> >>Why ? This practise is considered standard amongst many Mailing Lists I
> >>come across...
> >
> >And other practices are considered standard amongst other lists. There
> >are hundreds of email lists that people here are memebers of and the
> >idea of what is "standard" varies from one person to the next.
>
> Perhaps, but of the 12 others I'm on (plus others I've been on in the
> past), none of them are like this.  Most of my lists are programming or
> computer security related though, so that biases my opinion a bit.

I've just checked the 211 lists that I'm currently subscribed to
(excluding those that I administer myself, to avoid bias).  Of
those lists, only 13 put Reply-To headers on messages.  I break
those headers automatically before I see the messages.

> I believe that the reason that all of these lists use the Reply-To set to
> the list is so the majority of MUAs will work well with them.  That seems
> reasonable to me.

The reason is that the minority of list administrators who do
this subscribe to the broken belief that people are too stupid
to send their messages where they want them to go.  If list
admins didn't take it upon themselves to force-feed their
subscribers, those people would probably learn how to accomplish
just what they want.

> OTOH, this peculiarity of the HUMBUG lists doesn't kill me.  It's just an
> annoying inconvenience.

For a group like Humbug, it's hardly even that.  After all, we
are either people who know how to work out what to do to make
things feel the way we want, or we come along to Humbug to rub
against the people with the knowledge we seek.  Either way, it's
easy to fix.

Cheers, Greg