[H-GEN] Mailing List

Paul Gearon pag at tucanatech.com
Thu May 27 22:47:27 EDT 2004

Bradley Marshall wrote:
> On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 12:13:58PM +1000, Paul Gearon wrote:
> On the other hand, most of the lists I'm on, which are security / sysadmin
> related, don't use Reply-To.

OK, I'll confess surprise.  Just looking at the top of my pile, it's certainly
not the case for:

linuxcprogramming at lists.linux.org.au
tuxcpprogramming at lists.linux.org.au
kernelnewbies at nl.linux.org
linux-kernel at vger.kernel.org    (haven't been here for a little while...
                                  maybe it changed)
www-rdf-interest at w3.org
mythtv-users at mythtv.org

plus several internal lists which you set up...

That said, I did notice it the other way for 2 types of lists:
1. Announcement lists, where people don't normally respond
2. AUUG lists (ie. lots of sysadmins!).  The thing that struck me about these
lists is that there seemed to be a LOT of offline discussions!

>>Rob's procmail rules provide a "fixup" for headers.  For me, this implies
>>that they were broken in the first place.
>
> But it's only needed for some mail clients, not all.  Mutt works fine with
> the current setup.  Does this mean that the mail client you're using is
> broken?

Does your email client have IMAP support, and a bayesian spam filter?  If not,
then would you consider it broken?

It's great that you and others have mail clients that support this feature.  A
lot of peoples' clients don't.  The number of people whose clients don't would
seem to imply that this is not a "common" feature to most mail clients.  So
no, not having this feature might be annoying (for use with these lists), but
hardly broken.

--
Regards,
Paul Gearon

Software Engineer                Telephone:   +61 7 3876 2188
Tucana Technologies              Fax:         +61 7 3876 4899
                                  http://www.tucanatech.com

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane mittam.
(Translation from latin: "I have a catapult. Give me all the money,
or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.")