[H-GEN] Multi-thread downloads

Raymond Smith raymond at humbug.org.au
Thu May 27 02:51:27 EDT 2004

Hi Brendon,

On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 02:32:43PM +1000, Brendon Higgins wrote:
> Sarah Walters wrote:
> | Firstly, HUMBUG meetings are not intended to be a download-fest. If you
> | want to download stuff, get a decent ADSL plan and do it from home.
>
> I recall the fact that network access was advertised, and still is, as being
> one of the benefits of membership. "In effect, this means that you can
> download data at up to 100Mbps, making even a cable modem seem slow." This is
> clearly incorrect, now, and I was a bit disappointed when I discovered the
> throttle.

We should look to update that material.

> | Secondly, has it occurred to you that perhaps there is a *reason* why
> | HUMBUG is throttling connections? I don't know what it is, but I daresay
> | it's the excessive amount of downloads that occur. I suspect that you
> | would find that trying to work around the throttling is a very effective
> | way of getting yourself or the entire meeting banned from the UQ network.
>
> I can understand why they may want to throttle such bandwidth hogs, but 8kb/s
> is ridiculous. Also, I haven't been around that long, but did anyone from the
> university put out some sort of announcement detailing why the throttle was
> put in place? Putting in a limit without telling anyone why doesn't seem too
> friendly to me, and from my limited knowledge of the situation that's what
> they did. I wait to be corrected.

We get a lot more than we pay for from the University (being a room and
network in exchange for nothing). I believe we were not advised about
the traffic shaping because it is not being applied to us specifically
-- it is something they are doing across their lecture theatre network.

Cheers,

Raymond
raymond at humbug.org.au