[H-GEN] Mandrake 10 and nVidia drivers

Harry Phillips harry at tux.com.au
Sun May 23 18:35:28 EDT 2004

I installed my Mandrake 10 at the meeting on Saturday, it all went well
and I have been reminded why I like Mandrake so much.

I also helped a friend install Mandrake on his PC, it did not go so
well. We both have exactly the same make/model of nVidia card. His
machine refused to use the drivers from nVidia. We got various errors
and symptoms through the night and were not able to fix it.

We resigned ourselves to using the OSS 'nv' drivers until a solution
could be found.

Then on Sunday my Mandrake 10 started to do exactly the same thing.
After a long search on Google I came across the answer.

If anyone is installing Mandrake 10, you have a nVidia graphics card and
are going to install the drivers from their web site then make sure you
add to your /etc/modprobe.preload the line:

nvidia

As I found out, it may work for a while but eventually it will stuff up
and won't work again until you add in that line.

--
Regards,
Harry Phillips

All expressed opinions are mine I tell you, all mine,
mine, mine, mine, mine, mine.