[H-GEN] Warning: potential issue with Linux 2.4 and xfs (SGI's filesystem)

Jason Parker-Burlingham jasonp at panix.com
Sat May 8 21:40:45 EDT 2004

Robert Brockway <robert at timetraveller.org> writes:

> On Fri, 7 May 2004, Jason Parker wrote:
>> Of course, I'm no closer to solving my ... issues with xfsdump output
>> piped directly into xfsrestore to move filesystems, either, mostly
>> because of an acute lack of disk space.
>
> What's the problem?  I do this all the time.  I did it last week to move
> filesystems from hda to hdb on this box.

I get reports of problems during the dump/restore, and find afterward
that directories have been created with permissions set to 000.  Not
fun when the partition in question is /var, I can assure you.

> There is an example in the xfsdump man page, this or something similar
> isn't working for you?

Correct.

Here's a URL to the (unfinished) conversation I had on the list about
this:

   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.xfs.general/9888

I still have to get back to the list with the results of dumping to a
file on-disk and restoring from that, but I'm out of time.
--
http://panix.com/~jasonp?BabyPictures