[H-GEN] Warning: potential issue with Linux 2.4 and xfs (SGI's filesystem)

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Fri May 7 19:16:39 EDT 2004

On Fri, 7 May 2004, Jason Parker wrote:

> That sounds a bit like the thread about GRUB on that list a few weeks
> ago; does this report have anything to do with that?

Not afaik.

> To be perfectly honest, if you're going to go behind the filesystem's
> back like that, what else should you expect?  (I agree that getting
> filesystem corruption from a simple read is a bit much, though.)

Yeah.  If someone wrote to the device file of a mounted filesystem I'd say
it was their own fault, but a read.  Sheesh :)

The thing is, the idea of dding a mounted filesystem might seem strange
but it is not beyond the realms of possibility.  With xfs right now it's
gonna bite :)

> Of course, I'm no closer to solving my ... issues with xfsdump output
> piped directly into xfsrestore to move filesystems, either, mostly
> because of an acute lack of disk space.

What's the problem?  I do this all the time.  I did it last week to move
filesystems from hda to hdb on this box.

There is an example in the xfsdump man page, this or something similar
isn't working for you?

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert at timetraveller.org, rbrockway at uqconnect.net