[H-GEN] Internal Mail

R&J Stuart rjstuart at bigpond.net.au
Tue Mar 30 09:31:30 EST 2004

Robert Stanford wrote:
> Greg Black wrote:
>
>> Yes, people do know.  And, to answer the implied question, yes
>> it is feasible.  As usual with these things, it's a matter of
>> becoming familiar with the tools one plans to use, by reading
>> their documentation and other hints that can be found on the net
>> and possibly by subscribing to mailing lists devoted to those
>> tools.  It's certainly not at all complicated or difficult to
>> set up.

Unless you've never done it before and don't have a good understanding how
it fits together.  That said, you could start small using POP to grab mail
you send to from a couple accounts on your workstation (your flashy new
Mandrake 10 install).  Get a feel for what smtp and pop are (don't worry
about imap at first).

> A couple of these tools being
> 1. an MTA, e.g. sendmail exim,postfix.
> 2. DNS, you will need to set up internal dns for your dummy domain,
> i.e. fred at skool, wilma at skool, howtospeel at skool

The only real issue is if you want to make sure that email DOESN'T get out -
ie these users aren't supposed to be able to email externally.  This is
different to just sending email with broken headers which is what would
happen if you really used the @skool domain without stopping external email
at your boundary.  If you take a similar fake domain, and you want the same
client to be able to email externally, then you need to look at the
MASQUERADE_DOMAIN type features/config things (here you might rewrite @skool
to @somecoolschool.qld.edu.au) on your outbound "external" mail gateway.

I'd be guessing that a lot of people's internal and external mail systems
are the same, it just happens that you might be emailing the person next to
you instead of somewhere on the other side of the world.

It might be a good idea to give the list more information about why you want
to do this so we don't send you in the wrong direction.  Also, what current
email systems (if any?) these users have would be important too (assuming
that you want to make it as seemless/painless for them as possible).

Regards,

Robert