[H-GEN] Bluetooth under LInux

Geoff Shang gshang at pacific.net.au
Tue Mar 23 06:37:41 EST 2004

Hi everyone:

I've recently gotten one of the new Symbian phones, mainly because there's
now software out to make the display talk.  Anyway, I don't currently have
any way of interfacing between my phone and the PC, except perhaps using
the GPRS fascility to talk to my machine via the internet, which is a
somewhat expensive way to do it.  And the web browser doesn't talk
currently anyway so that's not really an option.  Anyway, my choices are IR
or bluetooth, and I think I'd prefer to get the latter as it's probably
going to be more useful.

I see that everythinglinux has something like four adaptors on sale,
ranging in price from $40 to $90 or something.  I was wondering if anyone
has had any experience with bluetooth under LInux, and these adaptors in
particular?  I usually get PC stuff from Umart but they don't seem to have
any bluetooth adaptors, which I find a bit odd but hey, I guess you can't
sell everything.  The cheapskate in me is highly tempted to go for the $40
adaptor, particularly since I may have to buy more than one ultimately, but
I'm a bit hesitant as I don't really want to buy a lemon.

Any thoughts will be most helpful.

Geoff.