[H-GEN] Spamassassin for all domains

Josh Marshall josh at worldhosting.org
Thu Mar 18 20:02:17 EST 2004

> Hi All - I asked before about having my (RH9) server check all mail for
> spam, even for domains I am a secondary MX for, and I was advised to look
> at amavis.  My domain is checked and working via procmailrc.  Is there any
> other way to check other domains I host for without using amavis, as, from
> the sounds of it, I have to install milter, and get the sendmail sources
> e.t.c - sounds like more work than I have time for right now.  Is there an
> easier way - or alternativly is there a milter.rpm prebuilt for RH9?

I'm not wanting to start an MTA war here - but you might like to take a look
at postfix. I would imagine you can get rpm packages for it (I use Debian so
haven't looked). Postfix has a better performance than sendmail and is a
"drop-in" replacement so your mailboxes and scripts etc can be used
unchanged.

I've got it running with amavis (with amavis using clamav for virus scanning
and spamassassin for spam detection) here and it's running quite nicely with
a good throughput.

Here's some quick stats on one of our busier mail servers for the past week:

Throughput: 303,458
Viruses found: 217,479
SPAM: 18,054
Emails blocked because of open relay (ORDB.ord): 19,113

It's pretty sick to see that only 22% of the emails coming in were valid...

Regards,
Josh.