[H-GEN] Samba browsing slow

R&J Stuart rjstuart at bigpond.net.au
Wed Mar 10 05:01:40 EST 2004

David Duffy wrote:

>>> Hi there,
>>> I have a Debian machine that I use at home with a network of
>>> Windows XP clients.

[going slow stuff snipped... ]

> Tried logging = 0 to no avail. Checked the WinXP reg key - already
> turned off.
> Any subdirectory I've just looked at opens straight away but ones that I
> haven't
> take anywhere from a few to 30 seconds to open. OTOH, I just tried a few
> that I hadn't looked at today and they opened straight away. I did think

Is it possible that the ones that initially take a long time have
"shortcuts" on them that reference other network resources that have moved
or been renamed?  The ones that don't take a long time don't have shortcuts
- or shortcuts that have already have a "negative cache" on the lookup (my
terminology but you get the idea).

Also, you may have issues with DNS or other name service not being
configured correctly....

> tcpdump (as Tony suggested) so I've run out of things to try at the
> moment. :-(
> I have restarted samba or Windows (as appropriate) after each change.
> David...

Don't run tcpdump.  Use ethereal; pretty much just start scanning on the
interface and look at the stuff, it will make sense if you try.  Also, you
can filter.  Right click somewhere IN the packet CONTENTS and you can filter
based on the data you clicked on - very useful.  Also, another really cool
feature is the "Analyze->Follow TCP Stream" which can rebuild a whole TCP
connection from the multiple packets that have flowed past - very nifty esp
for looking at http or smtp conversations.

For your above going slow problem, you will see patckets with protocol
netbios-*.  If it is a netbios name problem, you will probably see the XP
box or the samba box (or both) try asking other things for the name (eg
broadcasts etc) in the output of ethereal.

Hope that helps.

Robert