[H-GEN] Samba browsing slow

David Duffy david at audiovisualdevices.com.au
Wed Mar 10 03:37:52 EST 2004

Robert Stanford wrote:

> 1. Turn logging down to 0
> 2. I too once had this problem, it was just with a particular samba
> deb (running unstable) I found at the time that applying the
> winXP-sign-or-seal registry patch helped quite a lot. And no, I dont
> know why.
>
> found at:
> /usr/share/doc/samba-doc/Registry/WinXP_SignOrSeal.reg

Tried logging = 0 to no avail. Checked the WinXP reg key - already
turned off.
Any subdirectory I've just looked at opens straight away but ones that I
haven't
take anywhere from a few to 30 seconds to open. OTOH, I just tried a few
that I hadn't looked at today and they opened straight away. I did think
it may
be to do with the drive they're on (seperate from system drive) so I
copied some
data to the system drive and setup a samba share for it to try. The same
thing
happens with that one too so it's not the data drive itself taking ages
to respond.
I've also disabled the WinXP search for scheduled tasks that Josh
suggested but
no joy there either. This is really starting to bug me. I don't know how
to use
tcpdump (as Tony suggested) so I've run out of things to try at the
moment. :-(
I have restarted samba or Windows (as appropriate) after each change.
David...