[H-GEN] Network Failover stuff

Edwin Groothuis edwin at mavetju.org
Thu Jun 3 08:02:08 EDT 2004

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 09:52:14PM +1000, Michael Anthon wrote:
> I have been asked today to investigate network redundancy type stuff for
> one of my servers.  The IT bods in our main office (Sydney) are
> rehashing the main routers and DMZ configuration.  The new config will
> have 2 Cisco 3750s.  I need to hook the built in GigE NICs to the
> routers (one each obviously).

What will be the network? Will it be like this:

           -------------------------- Your lan
	      | Router 1    | Router 2

Or will it be:

	      | Router 2
           -------------------------- Lan 1

               Your machine

           -------------------------- Lan 2
	      | Router 1

In the first one, there is not much you can do (easily)

If you can do dynamic routing, do it:
- put the public address on the loopback interface (as an alias).
- start exchanging routing information with the routers.
  (let the machine figure out its default gateway, and advertise
   your public address)

If router 1 fails, router 2 will take over as default gateway thanks
to the routing exchange.

This is how we have all our servers.

Edwin

--