[H-GEN] Unix Review "News"

Jason Parker-Burlingham jasonp at panix.com
Wed Jul 21 00:50:41 EDT 2004

This byline just landed in my inbox:

   Tool of the Month: rpl
   by Joe "Zonker" Brockmeier
   [...]
   Zonker introduces rpl, a simple utility that searches files for a
   text string and replaces that text string with another that you specify.

I've elided the URL because I'm pretty sure it identifies me
uniquely.  I'm checking the article now to make sure rpl doesn't offer
advantages over sed and then very likely unsubscribing.  What a
disappointment.

Turns out that rpl is a special-purpose tool written to be "better"
than sed in that you don't have to learn a special-purpose programming
language to know how to use it.

Further examples seem to indicate that it comes from a DOS
backround---there's a -x (for "extension") option to constrain the
scope of the files the tool will operate on, for example.

jason
--
http://panix.com/~jasonp?BabyPictures