[H-GEN] IPTables problem

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Mon Jul 19 19:50:37 EDT 2004

On Mon, 20 Jul 2004, Russell Stuart wrote:

> I could not find any reference to aliases in the man page, but

I mean device aliases.  The original kernel config option to turn them on
(before they became standard) was "Enable device aliases" or something
very similar.  I believe this is still their official name.

>From man iptables:

 -i, --in-interface [!] name
              Name of an interface via which a packet is going to
              be received (only for packets entering  the  INPUT,
              FORWARD and PREROUTING chains).  When the "!" argu
              ment is used before the interface name,  the  sense
              is  inverted.  If the interface name ends in a "+",
              then any interface which begins with this name will
              match.   If  this  option is omitted, any interface
              name will match.

The + option links the rule to any matching interface so without the +
option is must be specific to a particular interfaces (alias or not), or
so goes my logic.  I suppose this could be talking about eth+ rather than
eth0+.  I haven't tried this but I may indeed do so when I get the time.

Cheers,
	Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert at timetraveller.org, rbrockway at uqconnect.net