[H-GEN] Mail program

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Fri Jul 2 05:52:53 EDT 2004

On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 04:11:34PM +1000, Greg Black wrote:
> > What difference do you think it has to the behaviour of the C program
> > you presented?
> I don't think it differs; it does differ.  The sed script above
> removes white space after the ">" set; the C program I posted on
> 27 June at 16:31 preserves it.

You posted two C programs. The sed script above exactly matches the
output of the first one [0], and following up the your presentation of
the second [1] I posted a second sed script matching the new spec (as
described anyway, though not as implemented [2]) and complained that
you were changing the spec on the run [3].

What do you think your little display of obtuseness achieves?  Is "I
changed the spec an hour before you posted and you didn't catch it for an
extra ten minutes!" really such a useful and educational point that you
felt the need to draw it out to multiple posts, rather than just saying
it outright? Or are the idiosyncracies of the BSD toolset so embarassing
you felt you needed a distraction and this was what you came up with?

Yeesh.

Cheers,
aj

[0] http://lists.humbug.org.au/archives/chat/2004-June/019482.html
[1] http://lists.humbug.org.au/archives/chat/2004-June/019486.html

[2] As implemented, ie, also including the undocumented "stop after
    more than a single spaces after a >" rule, the sed version is
    just:

[3] http://lists.humbug.org.au/archives/chat/2004-June/019488.html

Don't assume I speak for anyone but myself. GPG signed mail preferred.