[H-GEN] The declining effectiveness of SpamAssassin

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Wed Jan 21 21:55:34 EST 2004

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Bradley Marshall wrote:

> So, what you're saying is you're using a year old copy of SA, and the
> rulesets aren't coping with newer spam.  I'd suggest you'll find that SA
> will cope better if you upgrade it to get the newer rulesets to handle the
> changes in spam over time.  Basically, its an arms race with spammers trying
> to get around SA, and SA putting in new rulesets to stop them.

Yep, as spam evolved the filter's have to evolve too.  This is what Bayes
filters try to do automagically of course.

One more thing to consider for those using old versions of SA.  A few
months ago (maybe a year or more now) some spammers analysed SA and its
rules and constructed spam specifically meant to get past it.  The SA
people released a new version very quickly but those still using a version
prior to this event will get very little help from SA.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert at timetraveller.org, zzbrock at uqconnect.net