[H-GEN] Partition table gone

Edwards_Ewan_B at cat.com Edwards_Ewan_B at cat.com
Fri Jan 16 01:42:05 EST 2004

The hdd in my work desktop has gone to that great disc drive graveyard
in the sky.  Interestingly, the box will still start to boot on that
drive.  It loads the kernel and gets as far as starting to load
modules before generating all sorts of errors and making lots of
horrible noises.

I now have a new hdd in the system and have recovered all the
important data from backup.  Unfortunately, there is/was some other
stuff on the hdd I'd like to retrieve.

I've re-started the box with the old hdd installed as the secondary
IDE master.  The system recognises the drive, but any attempt to
access it fails because, apparantly, it no longer has a partition
table.  So, I'm guessing the drive has developed defects in the area
the partition table is written.  Don't know if there are any other
defects.

Does anyone know an easy way I can try to read data off this thing?
The stuff I want is not worth a lot of time or effort trying to
retrieve.
One thought: Is there something like a 'backup' partition table
written to the disc somewhere that could be used?  If so, how?

If I knew exactly what the partition table looked like, I'd be tempted
to use fisk to try to re-create it.