[H-GEN] MySQL filling up /

Arjen Lentz arjen at mysql.com
Tue Jan 6 19:25:19 EST 2004

Hi Michael,

On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 16:28, Michael Anthon wrote:
> > space until it's closed. It won't show up in du (because it's not in
> > the directory structure), but will show up in df (because it's taking
> > up space).
>
> That makes sense... I wonder if there's a bug in mysql then?  Each time
> we run a script that executes a rather large select query it seems to
> chew up and not free another couple of hundred megabytes of space...

That question can't be answered unless you provide a whole lot more
info, like which OS/version, which version of MySQL server, mysql server
variables, etc. Also, define "rather large select".

If it is not a bug, it could simply be a case of MySQL server settings
(or query phrasing). For that we would need to look at the settings
(server variables), the query itself, and stats about the tables that
the query uses.

Actually, the best route to resolve this might be to assume it's not a
bug, focus on the server settings (feel free to run the above info by
me) and see if a bit of tuning alleviates the problem.
If we can't resolve it that way, then we can try to assemble a case to
reproducible the problem, so the MySQL developers can track it down.

Regards,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Technical Writer, Trainer
Brisbane, QLD Australia

Sydney 1 Mar 2004 (5 days): Using & Managing MySQL Training
Training,Support,Licenses,T-shirts @ https://order.mysql.com/?marl