[H-GEN] OpenSource companies: time to stand up and be counted!

Arjen Lentz arjen at mysql.com
Thu Feb 26 19:10:16 EST 2004

Hi all,

Following up on the meeting that was held during LinuxConf in Adelaide,
we now have the organisational foundations of a new national body to
represent open source businesses to the government (state or federal),
education, the press, etc. I.e. somewhat similar to OSV in Victoria and
OSBN-SA in South Australia, but on the national level.

OSIA has been set up in close contact with people from AUUG and Linux
Australia and there shall be no competition as the membership and target
audience differs. For example, while individual developers may be a
member of Linux Australia, the company they own or work for could be a
member of OSIA.

Open Source Industry Australia

OSIA is the national industry body for Open Source within Australia. We
exist to further the cause of both Free and Open Source Software (FOSS)
in Australia and to help our members to improve their business success
in this growing sector of the global Information and Communication
Technology (ICT) market.

For more details, take a peek at the OSIA site: www.osia.net.au

What we need now is "members". Companies offering products/services
around Open Source. I know there are plenty of HUMBUG members (and other
list readers) who are in that position, so now is the time to stand up
and be counted. Big and small companies. All count.

To becoming a member:
 a) Subscribe to the OSIA discuss mailing list by sending visiting
http://lists.opensource.org.au/mailman/listinfo/osia-discuss
 b) If you look on the website you will see a member page with a list of
(some of) the members. You can send an email to either conz at cyber.com.au
or myself with details about your company, and we'll add you to the
list. This info will be nicely arranged later to provide a directory as
well as publically showing the extend/nature of the membership base.

Go on, let's see how fast we can work! ;-)

Regards,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Technical Writer, Trainer
Brisbane, QLD Australia

Auckland 3 May 2004 (5 days): Using & Managing MySQL Training
Training,Support,Licenses,T-shirts @ https://order.mysql.com/?marl