[H-GEN] c# and .NET on Debian

Andrae Muys andrae.muys at braintree.com.au
Tue Feb 3 22:16:39 EST 2004

Anthony Irwin wrote:
> As for using Eclipse and SWT the company I work for is anti java and not
> really too concerned about being cross platform. The only reason I
> wanted to use c# and .net on linux is because linux is all I use at home.

Anti-java but pro-C#... amusing as the two platforms are close enough
that there is no rational reason to differentiate to that degree.

Yes .net has better windows support[0], and java currently has better
cross-platform support[0][1] and J2EE[2].  However neither of these are
sufficient reasons to take a stance described as 'anti'[5].

Still a focus on windows, and no real desire for cross-platform support
is sufficient to make such a decision.

Andrae

[0] surprise suprise

[1] email:10: warning: aliased footnote detected.

[2] AFAIK .net has nothing to match J2EE's breadth or scale or J2EE[3].

[3] Short of appeals to native call interfaces or turing completeness[4].

[4] and such appeals would miss the point, J2EE is a standard
development target platform.

[5] Yes I am aware I am oversimplifying the comparison, however these
two axes are generally enough to make a choice.  AFAIK[6] the only major
semantic difference between the platforms is that the CLR supports
tail-call optimisation[7].

[6] Feel free to correct/disagree if you feel otherwise, as mentioned in
my last post I'm not particularly familiar with C# and the CLR.

[7] Can anyone inform me if this is generalised into full LCO (last-call
opt')?

*warning*: footnotes longer than body.  Suggest refactoring email.

'nah it'd take too long' :P

--
  Andrae Muys    <andrae.muys at braintree.com.au>
  Engineer       Braintree Communications