[H-GEN] Re: intermittent cable connxn outage

Troy Piggins troy at piggo.com
Wed Dec 8 03:38:38 EST 2004

* Gavin Unsworth <gavin at helot.net> :
> Troy,
>
> You're probably already onto this .... but are you using the latest version
> of the linux bpalogin client??

Yep - 2.0.2-1

> When you say it works for a while and then drops out, it sounds suspiciously
> like a heartbeat problem. Telstra have a habit of changing their heartbeat
> servers from time to time. Probably worth checking that you haven't used an
> IP in the bpalogin conf and not "dce-server" (or whatever it is).

Ok - mine is not set - ie default dce-server.  Should be fine.
I thought of that, but the port 5050 (nominated by me in conf file,
but I think also the default) is allowed through iptables from
anywhere too.

> I had quite a bit of grief with a linux box on a cable modem. For other
> reasons I ended up putting in one of those cheap domestic routers that had
> support for BPA heartbeat and it's been very reliable.

I have never had a problem in 5 years until the last couple of days
:-(

--
T R O Y  P I G G I N S
e : troy at piggo.com