[H-GEN] CRUX (A programmers linux distro)

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Fri Aug 13 01:41:52 EDT 2004

On 2004-08-13, David Jericho wrote:

> * Netgear DG632 ADSL Modem + Router - $105.00
> Provides:- Firewall
>           ADSL2+ capable
>           USB and Ethernet connection
>           DHCP
>
> For another hundred dollars or so, you can get one that will allow you
> to plug a USB or Firewire hard drive in and share it as a file server
> would.

I could not find anything at umart that had the one essential
feature not in the list you showed -- the ability to fall back
to a POTS dial-up when the ADSL falls over (mandatory at least
until the ADSL network becomes more robust).  I can do this
easily with an old Unix box, which I can also setup easily with
a simple ADSL modem.

So the question is:  are there actually low-end ADSL routers
that can do this?

Cheers, Greg