[H-GEN] Mail rejected due to bare linefeeds

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Thu Aug 12 22:29:19 EDT 2004

On 2004-08-13, Stuart Longland wrote:

> >>At least I don't think it's patched that way.  I've looked at the Gentoo
> >>ebuild, but there's no mention of such a patch.  Numerous security fixes
> >>here and there, but nothing mentioning linefeeds.  I think my
> >>installation is very much clean.
> >
> > "Numerous security fixes"?  I'm aware of one security bug in
> > qmail.  I'd be interested to know what the numerous ones are
> > about.  Care to enlighten me?
>
> Okay, I'm not sure which ones are what, but Gentoo throw in a truckload
> of packages.  Looking at the hints they've got in the ebuild, it seems a
> lot of them are probably feature additions, rather than fixes:

The list you provided are the common patches to qmail that
various people use (although I would avoid most of them for
myself); I didn't see a patch for the only security bug I know
about for qmail -- just another bit of evidence that packaged
software is not always the way to go, especially when it's stuff
that faces the Internet.

> As I mentioned, there's a truckload there.  None of them look like they
> mess with the linefeed issues that I've been having.

Indeed, and it would have been folly to introduce such a patch.
I think your problem is not with qmail but network issues,
possibly at your end, possibly at the other end, possibly in
between.

Cheers, Greg