Bad experiences with distros (was Re: [H-GEN] CRUX (A programmers linux distro))

Russell Stuart russell at stuart.id.au
Mon Aug 9 23:42:48 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 13:16, Michael Anthon wrote:
> Have you tried booting Knoppix and copying the X config file into your
> debian install?  Knoppix is obviously generating a working config file,
> may as well use it.

I have done that.  The problem is not with /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.
If I boot Knoppix in text mode, chroot to the Debian partition,
XFree runs fine.  XFree will also run fine if I use the Debian
supplied 2.4.18 kernel.  It doesn't work with any other Debian
supplied kernel. XFree boots, and thinks it is running fine ...
but the  screen is blank.  If I change the driver from "ati"
to "vesa" it also works and the screen is OK, but it runs slowly
and at a reduced resolution (read: looks yucky because it
doesn't match the LCD's 1400x1050 resolution).

I suspect it is something to do with the DRM modules in the kernel.
In an effort to fix it I re-built the kernel with (what I hope) is
the correct DRM patch.  But for some reason the kernel complains
the cramfs image produced for it is too big (bigger than 4Mb).  All
the other cramfs initrd's are also bigger than 4Mb, so something
else has gone wrong.  I haven't had time to investigate further.