[H-GEN] System won't boot, motherboard at fault?

Jason Parker-Burlingham jasonp at panix.com
Mon Aug 9 09:48:08 EDT 2004

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 04:25:22PM +1000, Tim Browne wrote:
> Jason Parker-Burlingham wrote:
> >So I've removed one disk of a Linux software RAID-1 array from a
> >system to do some maintenance (read:  move to another motherboard).
> >But the system won't boot.  I've double and triple-checked all the
> >jumpers and BIOS settings and everything looks fine.  Instead of
> >booting correctly, GRUB runs, presents a menu and promptly does a soft
> >reset of the system.  I'm looking for hints on what to check next.

> I don't know that there is an easy solution to this problem. It looks
> like your kernel is starting to boot then loading a driver that is
> incompatible causing a machine reset.

Close, but not close enough.  The system would reboot a long time before
any drivers loaded.  (It was probably the kernel decompression routines
that were killing it.)

I found the problem and am working to rectify it now---turns out that
with the new motherboard came a newshiny Pentium 4 processor.  That is,
not the same model that came with the old board, which was an Athlon,
and of course the previous admin had built a kernel specially for it.

Athlon kernels tend not to run very well on Pentium 4 processors!  Hence
the reboot.

jason