[H-GEN] CRUX (A programmers linux distro)

Sarah Walters s.walters at its.uq.edu.au
Wed Aug 4 21:35:41 EDT 2004

Rob Kearey wrote:
> Compiling everything with -march=notinventedyet -Oludricrous gains you
> bugger all.
> -O2 -march=i686 for stuff with a well travelled hotpath [kernel,
> libc], -Os for everything else is about as funky as you'll ever need
> to get. And even then, the differences are absolutely trivial. Are you
> running a huge HPC cluster or something? No? Then fuggedaboutit.
>
> First person to mention 'RPM dependancy hell' gets my special Curse [1]

I'll consider myself cursed then. Oh well, it will wear off soon enough
(I was playing a Diablo II necro last night :)).

I don't compile for performance reasons. I completely agree with you
that it's pointless. I compile for control reasons. The files go where I
*say* they go, dammit, and the version that gets installed is the
version I *say* gets installed! I actually prefer the FreeBSD system
over Gentoo since it's nice (nearly-)pure makefiles. Gentoo users,
consider your rants about how "emerge" is better suppressed and ignored :P

For big packages I generally get the pre-compiled versions from the
Gentoo (or FreeBSD) package repository. I've compiled KDE from scratch,
beginning with gcc and working all the way up, and it took a couple of
days. Not doing that again in a hurry :)

--
Sarah Walters
Systems Programmer, Software Infrastructure
Email: s.walters at its.uq.edu.au