[H-GEN] Spam, Humbug lists

Bruce Campbell bc at humbug.org.au
Tue Apr 27 04:15:57 EDT 2004

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 ben.carlyle at domain wrote:

> find another job, but I notice that the following humbug archive messages
> contain my email address in plaintext:
>
> http://archive.humbug.org.au/humbug-chat/2003-08/msg00030.html, and
> http://archive.humbug.org.au/humbug-chat/2003-08/msg00020.html
>
> I found both emails using a google search for my email address. Perhaps
> the archive censorship software needs tweaking?

The address hiding software (its a frob in mhonarc) only looks for
email-address-like strings in the headers.  So, your email address in the
'From', 'To' and 'Cc' fields is garbled, similar to:

	http://archive.humbug.org.au/humbug-chat/2003-08/msg00028.html

However, because the 'From' fields in your mails is simply
'ben.carlyle at domain' (address-only), and not 'Ben Carlyle
<ben.carlyle at domain>' (name+address), people replying to your mails use
the only string that they can find (rather, their MUAs do), thus putting
your address into the body of the message where the address hiding routine
doesn't (and shouldn't) check.

Since I've seen mails from Lotus Notes users with name+address 'From'
fields, changing this slight aspect of your client is possible, but
unfortunately I don't know where in the Notes setup it would be.

Those suggesting that Ben gets a better mail client should read the thread
from the last time this came up:

	http://archive.humbug.org.au/humbug-general/2002-09/msg00226.html

--==--
Bruce.