[H-GEN] Debian installation eternet woes with Dells...

dougs at bpagroup.com.au dougs at bpagroup.com.au
Mon Apr 19 21:47:21 EDT 2004

Hi All,

I'm in the process of installing Debian on my Dell desktop. Everything is
good, bar the fact that the ethernet card isn't supported by the
installation kernel. I've grabbed 2.4.18-bf2.4, which doesn't have the
e1000.o module. Kernels from 2.4.20 apparently do have this driver.

I've found this page, http://www.gnegg.ch/archives/000060.html, which helps
somewhat. I've got the correct header files thanks to packages.debian.org
and I've grabbed the source for 2.4.18 thanks to kernel.org.

I've done "make oldconfig" which does most of the work (just a few USB
things it needs some attention on). Problem is, its been ages since I've
built a kernel, and "make" dies. Basically it can't find the includes in the
headers (which I have installed via the package above). I can't make the
2.4.18 kernel, hence I cannot make the e1000.o module against the kernel.

>From make:

gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -o scripts/mkdep
scripts/mkdep.c
scripts/mkdep.c33:19: ctype.h: No such file or directory
scripts/mkdep.c34:19: fcntl.h: No such file or directory

lots of horrible lines not worth typing in by hand. (Doesn't VMWare do cut
and paste from Linux to Windows?!?)...

As I see it, I've got three alternatives:

1) Fix the make problem. I'm currently stuck and asking for suggestions...

2) Find a ready made e1000.o and use that for the 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel. I
don't have one yet nor have I found one.

3) Grab a newer kernel and associated modules. Install the modules on the
partition waiting for the install and use the kernel to boot to the root
disk, which I've failed horrible in my guesses at how to use rdev to
accomplish this. Even if I can get the kernel to boot to the root disk, I've
got a bad feeling about modules installation for a different kernel than the
installation kernel.

So basically...

HELP! 8)

Regards,
Doug

Doug South
Systems Consultant

The BPA Group
Level 5, 240 Margaret St,
GPO Box 1913, Brisbane, Qld 4001
Phone:	+61 7 3223 4918
Fax:		+61 7 3223 4949
email:	dougs at bpagroup.com.au

This message may contain privileged and confidential information intended
only for the use of the addressee named above. If you are not the intended
recipient of this message you are hereby notified that you must not
disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance on it.  If you have
received this message in error, please delete this message immediately.
Please note that this message may have been transmitted over an unsecure
network.