[H-GEN] ssh login

Sandra Milne fakungabubu at internode.on.net
Thu Sep 25 21:44:48 EDT 2003

Greg Black wrote:

> On 2003-09-26, Sandra Milne wrote:
>
>>Greg Black wrote:
>>

>>>Well, I've seen delays from around 20 seconds to a couple of
>>>minutes for DNS-related problems with ssh, although I'd agree
>>>that something around 90 seconds is probably more common.
>>>Perhaps Sandra will work it out and let us know.
>>
>>Sorry, thought my email saying that I added the computer I'm ssh'ing
>>from to the hosts file and it now works flawlessly, no longer that awful
>>delay that gives me a sinking feeling like I'm going to timeout before I
>>get to enter my password.
>

> Good to hear.
>

>>I don't have DNS setup on the debian machine no,
>

> Well, yes, you do -- the /etc/hosts file is part of the DNS
> system (and was once the whole of it).
>

>>and yes I'm trying to
>>connect from a windows b0x on the internal network using puTTY. Better
>>that it resolves my host with just a hostname from its hosts file than
>>to try various methods of resolving it and fail.
>>
>>As soon as I find a bookstore that actually stocks[1] the O'Reilly book
>>"DNS and Bind" I'm going to buy it and start learning about dns.
>

> I'd recommend saving your money -- like all such books, it is
> expensive (even with the 10% discount); like many such books,
> it's not very good.  I'd happily give you my copy, but it's the

It was recommended to me by a colleague at my previous employer. I'm
open to suggestions. I prefer to learn from books rather than in front
of a computer screen, so if you can recommend something that prints out
in less than 20 pages I'm open to suggestions.

Sandra.
fakungabubu at internode.on.net
modesty, n.: Being comfortable that others will discover your greatness.