[H-GEN] ssh login

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Thu Sep 25 21:06:14 EDT 2003

On 2003-09-26, Sandra Milne wrote:
> Greg Black wrote:
>
> >Well, I've seen delays from around 20 seconds to a couple of
> >minutes for DNS-related problems with ssh, although I'd agree
> >that something around 90 seconds is probably more common.
> >Perhaps Sandra will work it out and let us know.
>
> Sorry, thought my email saying that I added the computer I'm ssh'ing
> from to the hosts file and it now works flawlessly, no longer that awful
> delay that gives me a sinking feeling like I'm going to timeout before I
> get to enter my password.

Good to hear.

> I don't have DNS setup on the debian machine no,

Well, yes, you do -- the /etc/hosts file is part of the DNS
system (and was once the whole of it).

> and yes I'm trying to
> connect from a windows b0x on the internal network using puTTY. Better
> that it resolves my host with just a hostname from its hosts file than
> to try various methods of resolving it and fail.
>
> As soon as I find a bookstore that actually stocks[1] the O'Reilly book
> "DNS and Bind" I'm going to buy it and start learning about dns.

I'd recommend saving your money -- like all such books, it is
expensive (even with the 10% discount); like many such books,
it's not very good.  I'd happily give you my copy, but it's the
1st edition and doesn't cover BIND after 4.8 and its authors
don't seem able to distinguish between DNS and BIND.  There are
other DNS options, such as djbdns, maradns, mydns-mysql, nsd,
posadis and powerdns (to mention the ones I can remember right
now) and you may want to learn about them too.

In fact, using the on-line documentation for all of these, you'd
learn all you needed to know without spending a penny.  And for
questions that you couldn't solve in the on-line doco, you could
always try here.

Cheers, Greg

--
Greg Black <gjb at gbch.net> <http://www.gbch.net/gjb.html>
GPG signed mail preferred; further information in headers.