[H-GEN] Man pages (number)

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Wed Sep 24 16:07:56 EDT 2003

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Paul Clarke wrote:

> One of those why and how questions I've had for a while...
>
> In Roberts reply to my gateway and dns question he said "See the
> interfaces man page:
> interfaces(1) for info on the format."
>
> In doing 'man interfaces' I got interfaces(5), 'man ifconfig' gives
> ifconfig(8), etc
>
> What do the numbers represent and how do I get the man interfaces(1)

The numbers represent the section of the manual that the commands are in.
See man man(1) for the list of manual sections.  If you want to reach a
command in a certain part of the manual, put it before the command you are
querying, eg:

man 1 passwd
man 5 passwd

> page? (although the interfaces(5) page had all the information I needed
> for the task)

Robert screwed up here :)  Interfaces should definately be in section 5 of
the manual (file formats) not section 1 (user commands).  Everyone may now
hit me with a large Haddock.  Sorry for the confusion.

Interfaces(5) was the man page I meant for you to look at.

Cheers,
	Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert at timetraveller.org, zzbrock at uqconnect.net