[H-GEN] GPL licensing

Andrae Muys andrae.muys at braintree.com.au
Thu Sep 11 21:27:47 EDT 2003

Arjen Lentz wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>
> On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 21:28, Jason Parker-Burlingham wrote:
>
>>You can charge money for a copy of a GPLed program, but no matter
>>whether you sell it or give it away for free, you have to give (FSVO
>>"give") the recipient a copy of the source code, too.
>
> Make available.
> It doesn't necessarily have to be "on the CD".
> Could be FTPable somewhere, etc.

According to the FSF, FTPable isn't sufficient.  You have to be willing
to provide the source on physical computer-readable media at cost.  This
is a FAQ on the FSF website.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DistributeWithSourceOnInternet

Although given the increased availability of the internet since the GPL
was written, the rationale there may no longer hold.

--
  Andrae Muys    <andrae.muys at braintree.com.au>
  Engineer       Braintree Communications