[H-GEN] Why bother with root when you can take the box?

Jason Parker-Burlingham jasonp at panix.com
Thu Sep 11 07:20:36 EDT 2003

Anthony Towns <aj at azure.humbug.org.au> writes:

> How come Linux distros still don't offer encrypted filesystems
> standard?

I can't answer that question, but I can tell you why I don't use an
encrypted filesystem!  Basically it comes down to being a matter of
having no need to encrypt *everything* (I realize the example I cut
out of your quote above is different); instead I will encrypt small
files to protect passwords for web services and the like.  That way
lets me manage my encryption on a finely grained basis and I do not
risk having to recreate all that unencrypted data if something goes
awry.  The old export restrictions might play a delaying role, too.
--
Baby Pictures:
      http://panix.com/~jasonp?HenryGrosvenorParkerBurlingham