[H-GEN] using webcam on linux & windows

David davido at bigpond.net.au
Tue Sep 9 06:24:03 EDT 2003

 El Mar 09 Sep 2003 07:46 PM, David escribió:

<snip>

> > lsmod will show if the driver is loaded as a module. For example I get
> >
> > (typing lsmod at the command prompt)
> >
> > Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
> > maestro                34888   1 (autoclean)
> > appletalk              26692  12 (autoclean)
> > iptable_filter          2412   0 (autoclean) (unused)
> > ip_tables              15520   1 [iptable_filter]
> > parport_pc             19012   1
> > qcamvc_usb              5500   0 (autoclean)
> > qcamvc                 15736   1 [qcamvc_usb]
> >
> > the last two relate to my quickcam vc webcam
>
> The only "cam" entry is as follows:
>
> mod_quickcam           37968   0
>
> but there is also:
>
> usbcore                58304   1  [mod_quickcam printer ehci-hcd usb-uhci]
> videodev                5792   1  [mod_quickcam]
>
> Should I be removing any of these?

I got brave...
I did rmmod mod_quickcam and then Windows in VMWare picked up the camera, and
I could see my partner in crime but not vice versa, and I got a message about
VMWare not supporting synchronous something (I forget, sorry) so be prepared
for it not to work. There is an indicator for the camera connection (as for
the hdd, nic, etc) that was full green the whole time (meaning flat out), so
it was busy doing something.

Seems like VMWare is not the best way of doing this...

cheers
David

<snip>

--